Wednesday, January 23, 2013

082: 01/23/13 - Emma Yohanan, Harry Brenner, and Chris Kalis, of Songs For Gods

Here in episode 082, of Notes and Bolts, we're hanging out with Emma, Harry, and Chris of Songs For Gods to talk about space, celestial bodies, and what it is to juggle ten thousand projects without losing any quality (and really, they don't - everything they touch is great - Harry and Chris' other band, Chandeliers, stand as prime proof). Tune on in!

Download from itunes by clicking here



Songs For Gods - Boss

This is our first song where Emma sings actual words. So its got a deeper meaning. I have a song that I wrote called "all things are lights" and it has real words in the singing too, so that one's also a deep cut.

Brenton Wood - Oogum Boogum

This is the best 45 rpm that I found laying in a huge pile at the Shape Shoppe before we cleaned up, there was like 400 of them..

Songs For Gods - Jet Fuel

This is an improv that Emma, Harry, and I did while messing around in the live room at Shape Shoppe, we felt like the synths sounded like airplanes and that's where the title comes from.

Songs For Gods - Don't While

This is a re-arranged one-mic room recording, very similar to the style of some of the cuts on the Chandeliers LP "Dirty Moves". There are a lot of out-of-tune frequencies too, which I think is cool.

Jean Michel Jarre - Zoolookologie

This is hands-down the freshest shit coming out of France, ever.. Daft Punk can't hold a candle to this guy.  I thought this record would be moody like all his 70s stufff, but NO.. its totally tropical, voice sample, chop heavy awesomeness. If you don't know Zoolook, I highly recommend you find out..

DJ Topcat/DJ funk - I Need Weed In My Life

This song is funny and it makes me think of my High School and going to raves as a young, naive dude in the late 90s.


Chandeliers - Bankrobbers

"Bankrobbers, Everywhere, People look around but they just don't care"  This track features freestyle raps by Perry, Harry's 9 year old brother; and Travis Murphy, the bass player for Killer Whales.

Medicinal Brew - I Don't Trust My Car

Deep cut recorded at the kitchen table with Medicinal Brew main man Scott McGaughey, you probably haven't heard of this band because we
just invented it.

Songs For Gods - Find Your Keys In The Waterbed (live at shape shoppe)

Live 12 chops on the MPC and soulful vocals from Emma. We like this sound and you will hear a lot more tracks with this vibe from us in the future.

Complete Playlist:
Songs For Gods - Boss
Brenton Wood - Oogum Boogum
Songs For Gods - Jet Fuel
Songs For Gods - Don't While
Jean Michael Jarre - Zoolookologie
DJ Topcat - I Need Weed In My Life
Chandeliers - Bankrobbers
Medicinal Brew - I Don't Trust My Car
Songs For Gods - Find Your Keys In The Waterbed

Check this out over at Chicago Mixtape!

No comments:

Post a Comment